Shop Me

Thursday, January 12, 2012

FIRE

If you follow my vlogs, you know that I highly recommend Bath and Body Works in several of my videos. I have a huge shelf in my closet, with over 100 lotions, soaps, and sanitizers from the store. I love Les Wexner, his Center for the Arts is my favorite building at OSU, where I bought the very Mac that I am typing on right now. I even brag about my Black Friday haul at BBW at http://meganvlog.blogspot.com/2011/11/within-consumer-maddness-black-friday.html

So, when I say that today was a horrible experience of a BBW candle (made by Slatkin & Co) becoming dangerously flammable, I am not coming from the stance of being a hater of the company.

Since BBW deleted my Facebook query on what the heck happened here, I am taking the liberty to make my video and photos open to the public. I don't like corporate cover ups for dangerous products! This was a candle purchased at Bath & Body Works in the scent of Twisted Peppermint.



Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

No idea what happened, I opened up my bathroom door and found this today. I already had the candle in the sink because I don't trust glass jar candles (one shattered when I was 14 and set the curtains on fire, so I only light candles in non-flammable locations - never expected a giant flame like this though, it could have set my vanity mirror on fire!). At first, I thought it was some oddity, so I started recording the phenomenon. After about 30 seconds of watching the flame size vary, with no hint of the fire dying down, I had to get the fire extinguisher to put out the fire. This resulted in hot wax being sprayed all over my bathroom, and since my bathroom is all tile, this is a very difficult cleaning process (not to mention all the smoke).

I contacted Bath and Body Works on Facebook for reasons that may have caused this, but my post was deleted without response. Currently contacting customer service now, but I have no problem going to speak with our lawyer if no further responses are given. It's one thing for a fluke to occur in a product and the company to apologize for the situation; it's quite another to ignore it when the customer sends you video footage of the incident - which could have easily burnt down our house!

And no, there was nothing additional that I, or anyone else, added to the candle, except for the single match that I used to light the wicks (it burnt my finger and I dropped it in there). My friend at Crabby Candle Co has helped me search for answers among candle makers, and the consensus is that the fragrance oil did not melt properly, was concentrated in a pocket in the wax, or some other similar problem. I have never seen anything like this happen before in my life, and I certainly will never purchase another BBW candle again!

1 comment:

  1. Did you contact anyone at BBW so that a recall could have been issued for this date code?

    ReplyDelete