Shop Me

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Epic Dreams of a Black Friday

So, 2011 is winding down, almost time to cut the Turkey (or Honey Baked Ham if you're at my house), and that means we are in countdown mode to Black Friday savings. If you are like me, retail price is a dirty word for most items. I buy my Blu-Rays for $20 on the date of release at Wal-Mart, or for $13 at Blockbuster (great deal, but no DVD copy if you store does this offer), I see two values for everything - the worth-my-time price, and the pass-it-up price. Usually, anything less than 20% off is a pass for me, as 15% or less barely covers the taxes and is not worth my time.

You would probably think that I am Black Friday crazy then, getting in line for the mega deals at midnight the night before. Alas, I am not. I have learned that, all too often, a mega deal (like a $2,000 TV for $500) is not going to last and be in extremely short supply. So, odds are, I will not get one, even if I did wait in line all night. Secondly, I hate waiting in line, and after 10am, most stores have almost no line, but most of their specials still going on. For example, last year I bought my daughter a 7 piece Disney doll set, $50 blu-ray player, and even the on sale cookware at 7pm on Black Friday. There were pallets full of most of the specials, enough so that many items were still available on Saturday and Sunday.

In short, if you're after televisions and computers - come early and wait if you think you have good odds to get the item you're after. If you are looking for toys, Blu-Rays, DVDs, games, and smaller-scale items - they will likely be waiting long after midnight/5am (except for the hot toys, but again, they usually only get in a few units per store, so odds are not favorable).

My strategy this year is a little different, because I have some particular items that I am after, and I'm not sure what the supply will look like. As such, I will be there at midnight (when the stores open this year, instead of when the lines start at Wal-Mart as it was in the past) and fight through the crowds to capture an illusive 3DS holiday bundle pack. I'm hoping that there won't be such a rush for that smaller item, and that people fight over laptops while I sneak to the cashier with a X-mas victory for my son. :)

Here is what is, or will hopefully be, under my tree this year:


And don't forget about the lesser-publicized Cyber Monday on the 28th! Check Amazon and other online shops for specials or items that you missed over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment